Monday 24 July 2017

And the building begins!

Day 1 onsite...

We embark on our first day of manual labour.Yay. We woke up bright and early for breakfast and made our way to the build site or catering (glad that wasn't me).

On the build site we spent the morning carrying/throwing bricks (we saw some very very very large birds, I think they were dinosaurs). We then stopped for lunch and proceeded to carry bricks for another couple of hours. Then... We actually started to lay them (we built a small wall). A couple of sunburns later we stopped for tea, it was very tasty (ish, twas a bit chewy and by that I mean it was bone).

Now from the view of the catering team...

We woke up even brighter and earlier than the build team. We were down at the kitchen by 7:30am (or 7:35am if like me, Molly, you decided to ignore your alarm and were instead woken up at 7:28am by a very jolly Tom Scott). We made eggy bread for breakfast. Yum. We then boiled water for drinking, chopped wood and kept the fire going until lunch. Then after we prepared tea by trying to pull meat off the bones and chopping various vegetables. For tea we made a very scrumptious shepherds pie. Then we had cake to celebrate Jack's birthday.

The toilets that we have to "do our business in" are one of the hardest things to do. We have go find the right position and then the sound is just revolting... We have to sit and listen to our business just.. drop. Our showers are cold but somehow satisfying. It may only be day one but we know that our time here is going to be one in a million.

This blog was creatively written by the beautiful Esme, Molly and Charlotte

P.S.  Esme: Mummy and Daddy, I love you and thank you for the letters, for tea when I get back please can I have pizza and curly fries also I learned that a can swallow the tablet with food, yay, tell Jacob, morgan, rhea and tilly that I kind of miss them, ish, not very much, I am actually enjoying myself, I love you, goodbye.I love you okay goodbye, I love you.xxx The stars are amazing.

Charlotte: To my grandma and drew, make sure drew is actually doing something to help you around the house. Make sure his hair is clean and he doesn't smell. When you go to London please bring something back for me and mum. I love you so much and can't wait to see you both xxx

Molly:
Hello Mum and Dad I would like to say that I miss you a lot and when I get back remember the steak and chips! I love you both so much and can you tell poppy, Jacob ( when he gets back), Nat, Martha, Isaac and Lucy that I miss them all and I love them. P.S. Please comment if you read this. P.P.S. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

23 comments:

  1. Sounds brilliant,happy days xx yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there no mc dee's or subway??? What is oscar eating??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, sounds appetizing. Love Wx (Bob's Mum)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic to hear you are doing well. I hope the early starts help you keep cool but I suspect most of you don't like early mornings. Tell Isabelle West her brother is home from his holidays safe except a bad case of tonsilitis. Most of the family are reading the blog and we look forward to reading more. XxHelen and Marc Green

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good day. Didn't know we would be getting 'letters' - time for the tears! Happy birthday Jack - one to remember. Of course i am the one mum who doesn't know how to add her name, so sorry for showing you up Sam!! Love Sam's mum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great busy day for everyone. Fantastic to here everyone is doing great. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its great to see pictures of the camp.
    The toilets sound wonderful and the shepherds pie a delight jill fidan

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds and looks amazing.good to see the pictures of the camp and hear about the stars. Bet it is a fantastic sight. Gill

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh how exciting to hear from people, glad you are all settling in to life in Tanzania, your tea sounded... Nice??! Well done on the tablet front Esme, although after giving Morgan a travel sickness tablet tonight, he seems to have taken after you!!! The house is oddly quiet without you (not actually quiet, that only happens when everyone is asleep!)I love you very much and I'm very proud of what you are doing. Remember only 1 letter a day!!! Keep ok smiling 😊 hugs and kisses, love Mummy xx keep up the good work everyone, Vikki x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Esme, I'm glad you are enjoying the building work so far. But you are going to have to lay more bricks than that if you are going to get it built before you come home!! Glad you are enjoying the food!! Love you lots. Daddy (Martin)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on the first day everyone, but to matters at hand: Love Island Results for Harry V: Marcel and Gabby came fourth, Chris and Olivia came third, Camilla and Jamie came second and so Kem and Amber won.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds exciting
    Ps hi Jacob

    xzarahx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jacob Bainbridge. It's great to see the camp sight and what you are doing there, remember the suncream, Love from Nannie and Grandad

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another fab read, well done ladies in writing it up so eloquently. A bit of sunburn later makes me think of Jacob Bainbridge so a motherly nag to remember to put on lots and lots of suncream jacob and if in doubt, put on more! The toilets sound a treat, don't evny that part of the expedition but do think it's a fantastic experience and looking forward to reading more! Love to Jacob Bainbridge from mum, Barry, Connor, Joe and Sam. We're all reading these with a smile and loving seeing the pics! Very proud of you all 👍

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done all on first day work! Jacob b how did u cope bet you are already wanting a week off! Looks amazing! Miss you son! Remember be careful and I echo ur mum and nannies comments- PUT SUNCREAM ON! Love you son. Love me and the spotty dog! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are all missing you loads Molly Moo. I'm writing this message with mum, igoo, marpa and Lucy bob in a hotel room close to Manchester airport. Not so sure having Lucy bob in the same room as the four of us was a great idea. Lord knows if she will settle down. Remember we love you "this much". Try to work hard and have fun. We will try to send you messages through the blog. Till next time. Dad, Mum, igoo, marpa and woof xxxxlick

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello beautiful girls. I'm such a luddite I can't comment from my phone, so I'm borrowing an I-pad. Nice to read that you, Molly, are behaving true to form: Tom, you have your work cut out for the next 3 weeks. You sound to have settled straight into the Tanzanian way of life. I am very envious of the fantastic adventure you are embarking on. Molly, remember I love you "this much" and that Magic Kisses never run out. Looking forward to the next instalment and more photos. Love you. Mum/Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Charlotte, it sounds great, although not too sure about the loo, but hey it beats digging a hole in the ground! Had Drew doing gardening today, mum will be so impressed. He's also eating very well! Keep laughing, love you lots. Grandma and Drew xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Molly, it's Clare. Just read your blog, sounds as if you are having a good time, even with the 'special' toilet arrangements. We're leaving tomorrow for France it's strange without you here but good to know you're having a good time and getting up on time! Grandma and Granddad say hello too.

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to include your name when sending messages!